The sky is the limit, on top of the Swiss Alps
Michel Jordi is the creator and founder of the Swiss Ethno Watch and LE CLIP. In his career as an entrepreneur he launched 5 companies creating 500 jobs in the process. Was born in Solothurn, Switzerland as the son of a watchmaker. After studying in England in 1967, he moved to Geneva in 1969. In 1971 he went to Japan to create his first start-up at the age of 23. Recognized for developing iconic products and disrupting the traditional Swiss watch industry, he pioneered Swissness with the launch of the legendary Swiss Ethno watch in1991. Established his brand internationally with a successful image transfer and a complete line of accessory products. Was awarded Le Grand Prix “Triomphe de l’Excellence Européenne” for LE CLIP in Monte Carlo, 1986, a kind of Oscar of creativity. Attended the PED executive seminars at IMD Lausanne in 1980-81. YPO president seminars at Harvard Business School, Boston in1998/99. Published his autobiography “Giving up is no option” in November 2017 in German.
He is now dedicated to promote and encourage younger generations to develop their entrepreneurial skills to potentially take the leap into entrepreneurship and creating their own company. Married with 2 children, he lives near Geneva, Switzerland.
- Went to Japan in 1971 at age 23 to establish his first company, a joint venture with a Japanese watch component manufacturer. Affiliated companies in Geneva, Germany and France. Sales exceeded 20 million Swiss Francs after 10 years.
- Founder and inventor of LE CLIP in 1986. The watch to be worn everywhere except on the wrist. Sales of over 1 million pieces in seven countries for CHF 23 million in the first year.
- Founder and creator of the “Swiss Ethno Watch” 1989. A true Swiss icon. More than 500’000 units sold worldwide. Affiliated companies in the USA and Hong Kong.
Managed a successful image transfer to build a strong brand consisting of a line of accessory products with the same theme and which became “The Spirit of Switzerland.”
In its peak years consolidated sales were close to 50 million Swiss Francs with more than 80% brand awareness in Switzerland.
- 2004, Founder and creator of the “TWINS HERITAGE”. A collection of watches of “Haute Horlogerie” with multifunctional movements. The first watch on 2 levels and on which both dials with different time zones could be read simultaneously. Retail prices from CHF 70’000 to CHF 225’000. Within 2 weeks after launch in December 2004 production was booked out for a year.
- 2010, Founding member and creator of Swiss Icon, a watch designed and inspired by the smoothness of an Alpine pebble shaped by millions of years. The watch combined the Swiss Spirit with a trendy look and the traditional Swiss art of paper-cutting design.
Published his autobiography in German “Der Uhrschweizer, Giving up is no option” 2017.